I hope you are keeping well and looking forward to some brighter weather. The committee have been busy lately, and have lots to update you on in this edition of your art group news, including
- Tuesday class dates for hall closure
- New monthly Saturday paint together sessions start on 9 April
- Monthly in-person demonstration – Thursday 31 March 2022 – How to paint a portrait in airbrush·
- Book now! Textile Fusing workshop with Margaret Beal – Saturday workshop – 7 May 2022
- Membership Cards and update on the membership year
- Forward look
- 28 April – Portrait of someone you know – Molly Dicker Drawing Competition
- More Saturday workshop dates for your diaries
- Summer painting days – dates and venues
Tuesday afternoon painting sessions – 2 closure dates for your diary
For those members who attend our Tuesday afternoon painting sessions there will be no class on 10 May or 12 July as the hall is unavailable on those days.
Term dates are 1 February to 12 April and 26 April until 19 July (no class on 10 May and 12 July)
Full details of the groups classes and annual programme can be found on the What’s On page of our website
Saturday Painting sessions
We are pulling together the final arrangements for monthly Saturday painting sessions at the Meon Room, Titchfield Community Centre. These will be untutored sessions giving club members the chance to get together for a social painting session and learn from each other. There will be a small charge to cover the hall costs. The first session will be on Saturday 9 April from 10am until 12:30. Hope to see you there!
Monthly Demonstration – Thursday 31 March 2022 – How to paint a portrait in airbrush
This month we are returning tin in-person demonstrations at the Trinity Church Hall in Fareham. Doors open at 7pm, notices are at 7:15 followed by the demonstrations.
As part of our notices, Programme Organiser Jenny Gibbs will be sharing details of our forthcoming textile fusing workshop with Margaret Beale and we’ll be opening that workshop for booking.
The demonstration this month is a portrait in airbrush by Jamie Sinclair, we’re very much looking forward to getting back into the swing of our monthly demonstrations. See you there!
Book now! Textile Fusing workshop with Margaret Beal Saturday workshop – 7 May 2022
We are excited to bring you this creative opportunity. Read on to find out all about this workshop and how you can book.
- Date: Saturday 7th May
- Venue: Catisfield Memorial Hall, Catisfield Lane
- Time: 10:00 – 16:00
- Price £34 to include all materials
- Refreshments are included, but please bring your own lunch and a mug.
About the workshop
In this fun and experimental workshop you will use a fine tipped soldering iron to learn the basic techniques of cutting, fusing and mark making on single or multiple layers of fabric. You’ll be using nylon organza in an array of colours on a base of acrylic felt.
There’ll be lots of demonstrations and plenty of time for you to work on your own samples exploring the techniques of patterning with metal templates, layering, appliqué, patchwork and mark-making. The techniques are easy to learn, relaxing and fun.
By the end of the day you will have created a range of small pieces unique in their own right or as surfaces to develop further with machine or hand stitching or other embellishment.
If you would like to know more please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Cards and update on the membership year
Have you collected your membership card yet? We still have a lot of membership cards to distribute. These will be available for collection at the Trinity Church Hall on our Thursday demonstration evenings.
We also want to let you know that we will be re-aligning our membership year to our accounting year. This means that from this year forward, Membership of the club will run from 1 September to 31 August each year.
Forward Look at events coming up
28 April – Portrait of someone you know – Molly Dicker Drawing Competition
This competition will take place in the Trinity Church Hall, and the appraisal will be given by Jamie Sinclair. There are 2 trophies awarded on the night, the Molly Dicker winner is chosen by Jamie. There is also the Sylvanarth Trophy which is given by the President of Fareham Art Group, Wendy Saunders, for her favourite entry.
This is a drawing competition, this means that all entries are created without adding water or any other wetting Agent.
Full competition guidelines can be found on the Competitions page of our website
Future Thursday evening events
26 May – Demonstration: Go Wild in Watercolour! A demonstration by Jake Winkle (at the Trinity Church Hall)
30 June – Competition: Wildlife of the seas and oceans – Val Carter Award
More Saturday workshop dates for your diaries
- Saturday 7 May 2022 – Fusing textiles with Margaret Beal (booking will open after previous workshop)
- Saturday 8 July 2022 – Animal movement in watercolour with Jake Winkle(booking will open after previous workshop)
- Saturday 17 September 2022 – Felt painting workshop with Nicky Heard (booking will open after previous workshop)
Summer Painting days
We have a full programme of summer painting days this year, full details will be sent out nearer the time but here are the dates for your diary. Our grateful thanks to Tina Shaw for arranging these.
- 6 July 2022 (WEDNESDAY) – SALT CAFÉ, PORTCHESTER
- 13 July 2022 (WEDNESDAY) – PORTCHESTER CASTLE
- 20 July 2022 (WEDNESDAY) – HOLLY HILL PARK, LOCKS HEATH
- 27 July 2022 (THURSDAY) – BURSLEDON BRICKWORKS
- 2 August 2022 (TUESDAY) – FORT NELSON
- 9 August 2022 (TUESDAY) – 17th CENTURY VILLAGE, GOSPORT
- 16 August 2022 (TUES) – SPINNAKER TOWER, PORTSMOUTH
- 23 August 2022 (TUESDAY) – TITCHFIELD ABBEY, TITCHFIELD
- 30 August 2022 (TUESDAY) – SECOND CHANCE CHARITY
- 6 September 2022 (TUESDAY) – RIVER HAMBLE, HAMBLE
Finally, members had a lovely time at our first Saturday workshop this weekend – you can see some of the images from the coloured pencil workshop with Victoria Manser on our website.